|Not my "dream" kitchen, but close enough.|
Webster's defines Envy as a painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage. Yep, I think that covers it. That's my knee jerk response to this picture.
I do not like this. Envy is not an emotional state that I allow to live in my heart. I am not rich, but there are people with a lot less than I have. I know this. I have friends who have been blessed with all manner of material wealth and I am thrilled for them. As a childless middle aged woman, I could waste a lot of time feeling envy while listening to my friends and coworkers talk about the latest thing their kids are into. Or I can choose to feel joy for them. I choose joy.
So, why do I feel envy when I look at this kitchen?
- First of all, it has drawers. See them? Over in the far corner. 2 drawers. Which is 2 more than my kitchen came with. Seriously. Whoever built this trailer in the 1980's didn't think that drawers would be of value in a kitchen. For that matter, there are not any in the bathrooms either, but that's another story.
- Second, look at all that counter space! This is something else the designers of my kitchen saw no need for. They obviously knew I am not a fan of cooking, right?
- It's so clean. I mean, there is no junk piled anywhere.
- Look at that fridge.....
- And the window...
- and the floor....
I hope you can read the sarcastic, self deprecating humor here. Because while I do feel a fleeting moment of envy when I look at this picture, it's not all I feel. That moment of envy quickly turns to thankfulness when I realize how blessed I really am. Okay, not in the kitchen department maybe, but in a million other ways.
- I have a husband I adore who adores me (most of the time)
- I have a house full of fur babies who will never need to borrow the car or bail money
- I have my mom living within 15 miles of my home, alive and well
- I have my dad, all be it states away in West Virginia, but also alive and well
- I have friends and family who love me
- I have you