Thursday, August 15, 2013

Do not give up, God has not abandoned you





On August 16, 2011 a friend of mine took his own life. He left behind a wife and children he adored. I don't know what was going through his mind and heart in the moments before his death. But I do know that he loved his family and could only have meant only to protect them from something by his actions, that's the kind of man he was.

Somehow, somewhere along the way my friend lost sight of God. He forgot that he was not ever alone and that no matter what he was facing it could never be greater that God's power. I am not judging him, we all lose sight of the Father from time to time. Not because He leaves us, but because we take our eyes off Him and see only our problems, our failures, our sin. It's like walking a path with our eyes downcast, seeing only our feet and the area directly in front of them. We become so focused on our narrow view that we miss the big picture. We miss the arms of our loving Father reaching out to us through the world around us and the people who love us.

My heart breaks for my friend, that he missed the bigger picture, that he thought the only solution to his pain was to end his precious, beautiful life. My heart grieves for his family, his children and his wife, who have had to find a way to carry on without him. And I grieve for myself, that I lost an old and dear friend. We had not been close in several years, but we had the bond of growing up together, that shared history that links you forever. I miss him. I miss simply knowing that he is out there somewhere, making his way in the world.


  ----------------------------------------------------------


My message today is this, no matter what you are facing you are never alone. God loves you. And if those words seem empty, if you can't feel His love, hang on. Don't give up. You ARE loved, despite what you may be feeling. And this world is a better place because you are in it. Reach out, call a friend or family member and say "Help me". There are hotlines and support groups, there are churches and outreach programs. There is help.


DON'T GIVE UP. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my rambles. I would love it if you leave me a comment! Comments make my heart smile!