Monday, June 3, 2013

Heise Family History

Back on Memorial Day I told you a little bit about my Grandfather, Fred Heise. Fred died very young and was an only child, so I know next to nothing about his life. I wish I did. I wish I had asked more questions, collected whatever stories there might have been about the kind of man he was. 

I do know a few things, Fred was an only child, born when his parents were solidly middle aged (this was in 1921, mind you) and had given up on having children. As the unexpected and only son, he was doted on. Spoiled. I imagine this would have made him a difficult man in later years, had there been later years. I know that Fred's father died when he was still fairly young and that his mother was a force to be reckoned with. A strong willed, independent woman who was accustomed to being in charge. She was also the first woman chiropractor in the state of Texas (neat little tidbit). My mother remembers her as a woman who was very strong in her opinions, one of them being that chiropractic care could cure just about anything. Apparently this led to some problems between her and my Grandmother when she tried to treat my mother's asthma. I can't imagine that, can you??

Like I said, I don't know much about Fred or the family history of the Heise's. But I do have pictures. My grandmother saved them for my mother, who passed them on to me. I am the one in the family with a real passion for photos. I am not much of a photographer (point and shoot is my way) but I love pictures. I love the chance to look into the past, to catch a glimpse of how it used to be. Over the course of the month I will share some of my favorite family pictures with you and tell you what little I know about the people in them. How about we start now? 

Fred is the young man, his mother Fannie is just behind him.

I love this picture because of all the different transportation shown in it. A bike, a horse and buggy, a car, and way in the back a train.

Fred in his goat drawn cart.


Now I better run, I still have to get ready to face my work day. I hope you enjoyed this tiny peek into my family history, such as it is. 


Have a blessed and beautiful day! 

Just a reminder...



2 comments:

  1. I did enjoy your memories of your grandfather a lot! I liked those pictures: like you, although I am a very poor photographer myself, I love glancing (and more) at those windows in a past that is no more and still tells us so much!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I am glad you enjoyed the pictures!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my rambles. I would love it if you leave me a comment! Comments make my heart smile!