Monday, May 6, 2013

Comfort Food!

Monday, May 6, 2013
NaBloPoMo asks: What is your biggest comfort food?

Have I mentioned that I am an overweight, middle aged, diabetic? Or that I am a serious emotional eater? Well, I am. And to top it off, I HATE to cook and I am picky about textures. For instance, I cannot eat a tomato, not because of the flavor, but because of the skin and the slimy seedy parts. Makes me gag every time. So, when it comes to comfort food I eat a lot of things that I absolutely should not be eating. Lots of processed junk (potato chips), or high carb foods like Mac and Cheese and Mashed potatoes, that kind of thing.

I think my favorite comfort food at the moment is a hot buttery biscuit. Fresh from the oven, split open and a pat of butter on each half. Yum. I grew up making biscuits from scratch every Sunday morning for my parents. I can't remember when it started, but for years I got up early on Sunday mornings (around 5:30), sifted the flour (remember doing that?), mixing in the salt and baking soda, cutting in the Crisco, and finally mixing in the milk. Rolling out the dough and using a biscuit cutter, dipping the cut dough in melted butter and then placing it on a cookie sheet to bake in a hot oven. Only then did I go wake my parents (all of this was my step dad's idea, I think to teach me some responsibility).

These days I do things a bit differently. My biscuits come from the freezer section of my local grocery store and have a picture of the Pillsbury Dough Boy on the package. I much prefer this method of baking!

Image source


So, what is your favorite comfort food? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my rambles. I would love it if you leave me a comment! Comments make my heart smile!