Saturday, January 19, 2013

peculiar people

 "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that you may proclaim the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light."
 1 Peter 2:9

That is one of my favorite scriptures. Probably because I like being "peculiar". I'm a little off and proud of it! At heart I am a goofball, I like to do silly little things to make other people smile. I lose that part of myself when the depression and uncertainty start to weigh me down. It's easy to tell when I am losing my battle with my inner demons, I stop being silly. I stop making eye contact. I stop being my usual peculiar self. 

Of course, I realize that God wasn't calling his children weird, silly, or crazy when He called us "peculiar". I did a quick Google search of the phrase "a peculiar people" and I found a link to an post written by Dr. Dan Hayden. Honestly, I have never heard of this man before, but I like his writing style. I will definitely be reading more of his work in the future. 

Anyway, this post is titled (oddly enough) "A Peculiar People". And it gives a clear definition of the use of the word peculiar in this scripture. Simply put, it translates as "people for God’s own possession". God's possession.

I really like that. I want that word to take root in my heart.
 
 "a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people"
 
I am His. In good times and bad. In depression and in joy. In seriousness and in silliness. I am chosen. I am a child of God. And so are you. That's a beautiful thing.


Even when it doesn't feel like it.



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. My heart always feels lifted when I visit here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you. That is such a wonderful thing to say and it made my day! :)

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award! Hope you like it :D
    http://7seasofrhye.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/i-have-arrived/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I will have to go check this out! :)

      Delete
  3. I love being peculiar! While I know peculiar doesn't mean strange in this verse, I often think of John the Baptist. People thought he was strange and crazy. People filled with the Holy Spirit were referred to as drunk. No one said Christians were dull, dry, boring rule followers! We ARE a peculiar people!!!!

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie! I like being peculiar very much! In good times and bad we are children of the most high God and there is nothing like it!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my rambles. I would love it if you leave me a comment! Comments make my heart smile!