Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday fun, thinking outside the box!

Saturday didn't go the way I planned it. Don't you hate it when that happens? I do. It can really mess with my head.

My plan was pretty simple, we were supposed to go to the Mushroom Festival. Mushroom Festival? you ask, what is a mushroom festival? Pretty much what it sounds like. You can check out the official website here.

Basically it's an arts and crafts fair centered around the local Mushroom plant. Which if you think about it is kinda weird since Monterey Mushroom isn't close to the largest employer in Madison county. That would be TDCJ (Texas Department of Criminal Justice for those not familiar).....can you imagine the prison festival? Maybe we are better off with mushrooms.

But I digress, my plans were disrupted first by my mom. She was supposed to go with me but she wasn't feeling well and begged off. So I tried to talk James into going with me. But he was not interested. He countered with an offer to take me to Huntsville to go junk hunting in the local "antique" shops.

Let's be clear, I do not shop for anything that can remotely considered pricey or truly antique. That's not me. I shop for the silly, the fun, and the cheap. Today I found tons of stuff I love, but most of the prices were not right (meaning not nearly cheap enough). I took lots of pictures though, just so I could share them with you!

so ugly they are cute
happy hippo
life really is full of little surprises.
just cute
God Bless Texas
Just plain cool
I remember going to the prison rodeo as a kid
And now (drum roll please) here are the precious things that made home with us!

the shot glasses and cup and saucer are James'. The rest is all me

so ugly he HAD to come home with me

the price was right and the thoughts hit home
need a really old band aid??
this one's kind of blurry, but you get the idea, right?
Also blurry, but I am lazy. Deal with it.
So, what did I learn today? It's okay if my plans don't pan out. Sometimes there are better plans just waiting in the wings for the chance to shine. This isn't a new lesson, but one I have to be reminded of often. My way isn't always the right way or the only way. It's just my way. Sometimes I just need to let go and let God (or James) direct my day. Like the sign says, sometimes I just need to think outside my box. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my rambles. I would love it if you leave me a comment! Comments make my heart smile!